In the studio, Gumusluk

Dancing in front of Queen Anne's Lace, detail

Yesterday was a beautiful day at the beach – it could only have been more perfect if Ty had been there to share it with me. I rode over to Kekik Beach Bar and was able to nab the last sun bed on the beach there. Since it was Sunday, the day the working men have off, the place was packed with families. Several of the people that I’d seen there the day before were there again with the rest of their crew. Every seat in the place was taken. Since I have been spending so much of my time alone the last 4 and a half months, I enjoy it when I am around big groups of people, even when I don’t know who they are. It feels like being part of life. Many small children were there making sand castles and frolicking in the water. A large family group celebrating someone’s birthday had a cake brought out to them. And the two dogs were joined by a third, an enormous male golden retriever who was let off his leash periodically and allowed to run and jump and swim into the ocean to retrieve branches thrown for him.

Lying on my sun bed I enjoyed the heat and breeze – it was a very windy day and the waves were nice. I floated on my back as the waves pushed me along parallel to the shore. About 5 or so Seray showed up, having walked across the hill from the Academy. We spent a couple of hours together there, then I returned on my bike to retrieve the laundry I’d left hanging and photograph my assemblage.

In front of the Queen Anne’s Lace piece I hung up the two large photographs bound for Cracow in a few days. I had originally intended to hang these from a clothesline in either the ruined house at the top of the hill or, possibly, one of the ruined windmills. However, when I was downstairs in the studio in the morning unpacking my tube, I noticed the two trees standing just outside with the town panorama in the background and thought that it might work to install them there. I put up the string but when I tried to affix one of the prints, the wind was just too strong; rather than ripple gently in the breeze, the print was swung violently up in the air so I decided against it. Instead, I grabbed two more wooden easels, set them up on either side of the still life, and hung the two photographs from the line strung between them. I was interested in seeing how they would look in the candlelight. I also decided that I would perform some calisthenics in front of them to see what these movements would look like captured on film. I liked the shadows created by the movements of my arms, legs and hair and the way that my moving body became translucent when photographed in front of the still objects, all except my feet.

See pictures here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *